Saturday, September 4, 2010

Move

So I ended up moving to Chapel Hill today; my place is about 1.5kms from the Russel Terrace/Chapel Hill Road trailhead. Being injured but eager, I have devised a route for a sweet bi- or tri-weekly run that I would like to build up to when I get healthy. It involves going over Cootha to Matt's place, and back the way that I came. It would involve 300 metres of gain and 300 of loss and would be 12.5km long, with all of the climbing and descending occuring after 2km of relatively flat road (and therefore finishing before the final 2km), which would allow me to get my legs warm first. It looks like the perfect run for building fitness, once I am able to run again. Obviously, this is all just speculation, as it doesn't look like I'll be running for the next few weeks.

What I can do, however (touchwood), is paddle. I have been hitting up the Brisbane River for between 60 and 90 minutes for the last five days, and my body is starting to enjoy it. The plan is to build up to 12 hours-per-week of canoeing, and then when I can run, slowly replacing that time with running and then ultimately doing 2x1 hour of canoeing and one climbing session per week, with about 140km of running - 70kms over the weekend, and 70kms through the week. This would be the ideal situation for me, and I know I can build up to it, over about 15 weeks. It will take some almighty patience though, something which I have generally lacked in the past.

It seems that the "determination" and love of running which get me out the door every morning is the same thing that causes me to push too hard. I need to learn to wait - I should always err on the side of caution.

No comments:

Post a Comment