Sunday, October 17, 2010

"After" latin America by Walter Mignolo

To me, this passage from Mignolo's article would be the best way to describe the history of the modern world to a being from another planet: "The confluence of "discovering" a new continent, on the one hand, and expelling Jews and Moors from the Iberian peninsula, on the other, gave Western Christians the opportunity to translate their local view into the universal perspective that shows up in their world maps (like Mercator's and Ortelius' that I referred to in the first chapter). Colombian philosopher Santiago Castro-Gomez described this moment in terms of the emergence of the "hubris of the zero-point."4 That is, an insidious confidence emerged from the belief that Europeans occupied a universal locus of observation and of enunciation from which the world and its people could be classified. The radical shift in the geography of knowledge at that moment consisted in the subsuming under the Christian perspective of all other loci of observation.
This is, precisely, what the theological politics of knowledge was all about. The very idea of "modernity" cannot be separated fiom this shift, made possible by the simultaneous triumph of Christianity over the other religions of the Book, the emergence of a new continent, the navigation as well as physical and conceptual appropriation ofthe globe, and the subsuming of all other forms of knowledge."
It sums it all up really.

On the running front, I turned my long run into a back-to-back set, putting in 17km and two climbs on Sunday aswell. This meant that my weekly mileage went from 67km one week to 105km the next. This was admittedly stupid, but if I just take this week really easy (20-35km), and work off of a two week build up, one week easy cycle, I should be able to have fun and induce a training effect. Nonetheless, the hard week has put me well into deficit, and I should need this entire week of taking it easy to return to form. This effort has also caused some more tendons in my foot to flare up/become damaged. They get a bit sore when I sit down for long periods, but when I stand up and walk around, the pain abates. I think I will go canoeing tomorrow, just to give my legs a complete rest (I went cycling this morning), then have a few more easy runs/cycles, with a rest day on Sunday. That's the plan, anyways - and I know that, when it comes to running, nothing goes according to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment