Sunday, November 21, 2010

An epic end to an epic week.

The night after putting in the PB on Mount Cootha, and watching my brother graduate from year 12, I just could not sleep at all. It wasn't anxiety or anything, I just did not feel one bit tired. It was probably because of the fact that I ate a packet of crumpets an hour before hitting the sack, to do some last-minute carbo-loading for the next day. After alternating between reading and just lying there between 11pm and 3am, I decided to cut my losses, and to treat it as sleep deprivation training - I went running.
I walked out of my front door, and ran down past Matt's house to the Greenford Street entrance to Mount Cootha. My legs were really twingey, most likely because of that fact that I had not actually had any chance to recover since the PB.
I must have seen about 20 cane toads as I made my way along the wide fire-trail; once I actually kicked one without realising it!
Pretty soon, I was into Brisbane Forest park, but I cannot say that I was able to find a rhythm. Because of the state of my body, my stride never really felt comfortable. I eventually came to a fork somewhere along the trail, turning left, and down towards Gold Creek Reservoir (although I was unaware of it at that time). Having descended a good 250metres (vertical) to the dam wall, I started to make my way around the small body of water, noticing how incredible the single-trail around it was. My left hamstring started to pang at one point, a nuisance which would stay with me for the rest of the run. The single track soon became overgrown, and I found myself trudging through long grass, at between knee and waist height. I had to keep reigning in my mind at this point, which was getting fairly despondent about a variety of things. Keeping a positive attitude was the key. I exited the long grass as the trail began to climb a steep hillside, hoping that it was heading towards Mount Nebo. It wasn't: pretty soon I was at the dam wall, the 1.5 metre-high steps of which I had to scale to get back to the starting point. I then trudged back up towards the fork, went right this time, and made my way towards Mount Nebo. The next section involved some pretty overgrown trail, and some ridiculously steep ascents and descents. I eventually decided just to take the road up the Mountain, and exited the trail. I was passed by plenty of cyclists, bikers, hoons, and families on day trips on this section, and did not really enjoy it due to the residual fatigue and the tarmac. After what seemed like a like a lifetime, we had arrived at Mount Nebo, then stocking up on supplies, and calling my Dad. I had agreed to meet him at our place at 1pm, but there was no chance that I was going to make it, so we agreed to meet for lunch on Mount Glorious. What could be loosely classified as a running cadence was maintained down the saddle between the two mountains, but as soon as the climb began, my running for this outing seemed to be all but over. Nine hours, and between 55 and 60km after I had began, I waltzed up to Maiala Cafe to await my dad on Mount Glorious.
He and Paula arrived, and we all had a really nice lunch together, before walking to a lookout to savour the view.
We all had curry at the Ceylon Inn that night, and I said goodbye most of the rest of my family, as they were heading off to Vanuatu that day. I then went out for a small party at Megan's house and stumbled into bed at 12:30.
What a week: two full days of cycling and hiking/climbing, a PB on Mount Cootha, and a very slow and relaxed ultra run/walk. The residual fatigue has not yet hit, but I'm hoping that it wont until the week before Kurrawa to Duranbah, when I put in a very serious taper.

No comments:

Post a Comment